What does it take to become an expert?
The short answer is a combination of theory backed up by a lot of practice. 10,000 hours to be exact if you believe Malcolm Gladwell.
Sadly, there don’t seem to be any shortcuts. You’ve got to do the work to earn the badge.
The hardest part, is getting started on your journey. It can sometimes be so daunting that you’re not really sure where to start. However, as a wise man once said, ‘A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.’
With this in mind, we take a look at the fascinating but not exactly sexy sounding subject of Behavioural Economics, with some top resources to set you off in the right direction.
5 books to read:
1) Nudge: Improving Decisions about Health, Wealth, and Happiness by Cass Sunstein and Richard Thaler
2) The Choice Factory by Richard Shotton
3) Predictably Irrational: The Hidden Forces That Shape Our Decisions by Dan Ariely
4) Pre-Suasion: A Revolutionary Way to Influence and Persuade by Robert Cialdini
5) Alchemy by Rory Sutherland
5 podcast episodes to listen to:
5 twitter handles to follow:
5 TED talks to watch:
Behavioural Science for Brands course is also available with the fabulous, Richard Shotton.